- Improves Job Performance: Humans come with varying abilities to perform a job. But this lag in performance can be improved through adequate training. A ‘poor performer’ can be turned into an asset to the organization through the use of SOP led training. By communicating the finest details and exact measurements related to a job, the employee becomes more capable and productive.
- Supports the Idea of Continuous Improvement: Including experienced employees with in-depth knowledge of the job process during the creation of an SOP can be integral to continuous improvement. Such employees through their continued exposure to the job process are able to gain valuable insights into improving efficiencies.
- Become an Accuracy Controlled Enterprise (ACE): Employees working an ACE are masters at what they do, to enable the organization to become a world-class company. The focus here is on including – target, tolerance and test (3T) into the work procedures. In other words, a target gets specified, a range of acceptable tolerance gets defined and the proof test is run to check whether the task was done right.
- Self Paced Learning Tool: It is a known fact that SOPs tend to reduce the need for classroom training among employees. Exhaustive and well-written SOPs can function as a self-paced learning tool allowing the employees to learn at their own pace and comfort. Meaning SOP manuals would function as the only knowledge resource required by the employees to master their job processes. This can free up a lot of time and resources that get invested for face-to-face training. Moreover, employees become more confident about knowledge retention and skill sets without relying on a superior or a supervisor to improve on-the-job performance.
- Improvement in SOPs – Effective Video SOPs: The improvement of technology has also resulted in enhancements in how SOPs get implemented. Video-based SOP training is catching up fast at various companies. It minimizes the intervention from humans towards training. With the internet and associated technologies, it is becoming increasingly easy to disseminate training material. Employees can be served video-based training material over the internet allowing them access to training at their workplace desktops or mobile phones. This kind of SOP training has the potential to subsequently replace all classroom-based training and with accelerating technology trends, video-based training might even become interactive down the years.
- Vast Scope for Implementation: SOPs by no means should be restricted to a few functions in the organization. Rather the effort should be on raising the awareness and applicability of SOPs across the organization. This can ensure all job-related processes in the organization is done with efficiency, quality and uniformity in performance. Every business function needs to be inculcated with the need to train their personnel with SOPs and raise the performance bar.
- Seamless Integration: As a process consulting agency BPX believes that any SOP that gets implemented in the organization must be in-sync with available IT systems in the organization such as available software platforms and applications like CRM. Unless the SOPs get integrated into the IT systems in an organization, it may not find practitioners among stakeholders within the organization. BPX considers this vital to SOP implementation.
- Implementable & Paperless: An exhaustive SOP might not really serve the purpose if it is cumbersome to implement. BPX during SOP creation, make it practical enough to be implemented on the ground. Further, BPX believes that the ideal medium for implementing SOPs is through online documentation process which improves the relevance by making it accessible and increases the scope of SOPs getting implemented across the board.
Chief Growth Officer
Nikhil is a calm and composed individual who has a master’s degree in international business and finance from the United Kingdom. Nikhil Agarwal has worked with 300+ companies from various sectors, since 2012, to custom-build SOPs and achieve operational excellence. Nikhil & his team have remarkable success stories of helping companies scale 10X with business process standardization.